.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Around Maadi

Just some pictures from walking around Maadi the past couple of weeks.


Ramadan starts next month and people are starting to put out their lamps. I'll take more pictures and do more explaining next month because I've never experienced it before. So far it reminds me of Christmas because the stores have Ramadan themed foods on display. We went to Carrefour the other day and it was (not unlike any other time, but this one deserves mention) a mad house. People were buying up the entire store. 


Men with these types of carts come by our street selling juice at least twice a day. It must be a Summer thing here because they didn't come by in the Spring.  He's actually right outside my window as I'm typing this! 


The juice is made from tamarinds.  It's very refreshing and really helps cool you off on a hot day.



I've already written about the Egyptians love of children. This little girl lives across the street. She was very proud to show us her new bike. She also kept offering Benny a bite of her sandwich (egg as far as I could tell)



This is common to see right now as well. I haven't tried one yet, but have heard they're similar to a guava.


We usually go to the gelatto shop every weekend (salted caramel gelatto is amazing) and took a turn down a street to explore. You never know what you're going to find. This place reminded me of my Uncle Frank and his love of going junking...


I quickly breezed through this shop.  It was really cool and had a lot of hand made puppets and things for kids.  I'll have to come back when I don't have a toddler who is apt to grab and destory all in his path.

We really need to talk to our neighbor about parking his donkey in our driveway...



No comments:

Post a Comment